My Coronavirus Stimulus Check and My Freelance Business

Thanks For The Small Business Loan Uncle Sam

I promise that I am not making this up. Hollywood could not have written a more perfect script. I and several million of my fellow Americans are about to receive 1200 dollars in economic stimulus to help boost our Coronavirus economy.

I would venture to say that 98 percent of American families will use this to pay rent, mortgages, utility bills, buy groceries, etc. I will use it in another way.

Today is March 29, 2020. exactly 22 days ago on March 7, I launched my Freelance Writing Business. Now don't get me wrong, I was already freelancing as a side hustle to my regular income as a Journalist. March 2, 2020, I retired from over 20 years of Journalism. I had decided to go full-time freelance the following Saturday. I am fortunate that I am only 55 years old and have wisely invested to be able to retire at this age and do what I love. Write. 

But then the Coronavirus came along.

In 3 weeks I have gotten more freelance work than ever before. I wasn't even trying to get more work. But with all of this coronavirus stuff changing the landscape of the American workforce, it would seem as if I had planned all of this

Now I find out that I am about to receive a check from Uncle Sam. I have thought about giving it to some family that has a bazillion kids and a bazillion bills. I thought about giving it to a church. I thought about giving it to the Red Cross.

Then I had this thought.

Since I am using this changing time in America's landscape to my advantage already, like optimizing all of my social media profiles, fluffing up my resume' and my professional contacts. Basically giving my online presence a glorified kick in the pants, why don't I put that 1200 into my freelancing business?

Consider it a small business loan that I don't have to pay back.

I could change this blog to a real self-hosted domain.

I could advertise locally.

I could spruce up my already spruced home office.

I was given a chance that some people only dream of. I was retired from a career of doing what I loved. I was now an entrepreneur doing what I love. I owe nothing, everything I own is paid for.

And now I'm given some "Free Money"

Where is the downside to all of this? Is this my metaphorical "ship coming in?" Did I do something really good for somebody and this is karmas way of settling up?

Or did I just happen to be in the right place at the right time with the right equipment? 

After all, that is the definition of a good Journalist!

I gotta get down off this cloud and go feed a cat!




Comments

Popular Posts